How to Handle Tax Audits, Appeals, Protests, and Settlements
If you are facing a tax audit, an experienced attorney can help you avoid costly mistakes and present all of the defenses available to you. Our skilled lawyers know how to navigate through the audit process to obtain the best results possible for our clients.
It is important to contact an attorney as soon as you receive notice that you are being audited. Many notices have deadlines, and if you do not respond on a timely basis, you could be subject to harsh penalties and assessments. At the Law Office of Williams & Associates, P.C., our practice focuses on tax issues such as audits, appeals and tax protests. From our office in Sacramento, our attorneys represent individuals and businesses from California, throughout the United States and abroad.
Defending Your Rights n Any Tax Matter
Our attorneys handle audits of income tax, sales and use tax, employment tax and other types of taxes and penalties, and work closely with Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) on audits and appeals.
The following are examples of the issues we handle:
- Audits and audit reconsiderations
- Appeals and protests of audit results
- Statutory Notices of Deficiency from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), also known as 90-day letters
- Notices of Proposed Assessment (NPAs) from the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB)
- Notices of Determination (NODs) from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) or California State Board of Equalization (BOE)
- Sales and use tax defense, including issues unique to specific industries including construction, convenience stores, restaurants, and automobile dealerships
- CDTFA site visits
- Summons defense, including administrative defenses and petitions to quash a summons
- Defense for online merchants, sometimes known as the Amazon tax
- Defense of exemptions and deductions
- Defense of responsible officers or persons
- Defense of civil and criminal fraud allegations
- Defense of negligence, underpayment and other penalties
- Defense of tax shelters
- Defense of tax promoter investigations
- FTB, CDTFA, and BOE settlements
- Representation before the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility
- IRS Private Letter Ruling requests