Estate Planning for Your "New" Adult

With graduations in full swing and high school seniors preparing to leave home for college, employment, or other adventures, it may be time to consider estate planning documents for your 18 year old. It may not initially make sense for an 18 year old to need an estate plan since most do not have significant assets. However, in most states, an 18 year old is an adult, with legal rights relating to privacy and decision making. As soon as a child turns 18, parents will lose authority to view medical and financial records related to the child, as well as be prevented from making decisions on their child's behalf. 

In order to ease the transition into adulthood, parents and 18 year old "children" should consider two important estate planning documents. The first is an Advance Health Care Directive. This document will allow the adult child to name an agent to make health care decisions for the child in the event the child is unconscious or otherwise unable to communicate. In conjunction with the health care document, the adult child should also execute a HIPAA waiver which will allow the agent to view medical records and discuss current health issues with medical professionals, assisting the young adult with the understanding and management of current health conditions.

The second important document is a Power of Attorney for Finances, which allows the adult child to name the parent as an agent with the authority to discuss the adult child's finances with financial institutions and assist with the management of other financial tasks, such as rental and landlord issues, obtaining and paying for medical and/or auto insurance, discussing and paying bills, replacing lost credit or atm cards, etc.

Both documents should be designated to be effective immediately upon signature (rather than becoming effective only upon incapacity) so that the designated agents can act at any time. Starting young adults with these basic estate planning documents can provide guidance during the transition to adulthood and allow parents to remain involved on an as needed basis.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact the Law Office of Williams & Associates

For more information about our tax law services, or to discuss your tax matter, call our Sacramento office at (916) 488-8501 or toll free at (800) 684-7147. You may also send us an inquiry via email.

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

3600 American River Drive, Suite 135
Sacramento, CA 95864

Toll Free: 800-684-7147
Phone: 916-488-8501
Fax: 916-488-8196
Sacramento Law Office Map