IRS Voluntary Disclosure Programs

For many years, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has offered a voluntary disclosure program to allow taxpayers to resolve tax issues before they are audited or face a criminal investigation.  Recent IRS and Department of Justice investigations into offshore accounts have led to an increased use of voluntary disclosure programs by taxpayers to avoid higher civil penalties or criminal prosecution.

At the Law Office of Williams & Associates, PC, our practice focuses on tax law, including offshore tax compliance and defense.  Our lawyers are current with state and federal voluntary disclosure and amnesty programs that may enable you to resolve tax issues before a criminal investigation.  From our office in Sacramento, we represent individuals and businesses from California, throughout the United States and in numerous countries such as Switzerland, Hong Kong and the U.K.

Protecting You From Criminal Charges

Many individuals and business owners know that they are in violation of state or federal tax law.  However, they may be reluctant to discuss their case with tax authorities because they are uncertain of the potential liability they may face.  Voluntary disclosure programs provide you with a more predicable outcome, depending on the facts of your case.

In some cases, taxpayers may be concerned with being drawn into a criminal investigation.  Perhaps a partner or business associate is being investigated for an issue that may also involve you.  By participating in a voluntary disclosure program before criminal investigation, you may be able to avoid criminal charges and obtain a civil resolution.

Many disclosure programs are temporary, so you should contact an experienced tax attorney as soon as possible about your situation.

Contact a California Attorney about Off-Shore Bank Accounts

For more information or to schedule a consultation with an IRS voluntary disclosure program attorney at the Law Office of Williams & Associates, PC, call 916-488-8501 (800-684-7147 toll free) or fill out the contact form on this site.